Re: hidden buffers for async

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: hidden buffers for async
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:26:19 +0100

>     But IMAP can be asked to download lots of files at once and will be
>     chunking them all. So I wanted to have lots of chunk buffers, one for
>     each file transfer. When the files are downloaded they can be put
>     straight into the correct mode for displaying the file.
>
>     So there might be 10 or 20 (or 1000) buffers all recieving chunks of
>     files from IMAP.
>
> Creating that many buffers might cause various sorts of overload
> for Emacs.  Can't you use one buffer for all the information,
> and sort it out at the end?

The number of buffers would be 1:1 with the number of files being
downloaded. Aggregating the data is the problem I was trying to avoid.
Because the downloads all finish at different times it makes sorting
the data difficult.

I agree that downloading a lot of files will be silly. Perhaps I will
set up a pool of 20 or so buffers for downloads and block or error
when the pool is exhausted.

Would that be a good idea?

Nic