Re: lisp/url/ChangeLog

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: lisp/url/ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:19:00 -0400

>> > All the ChangeLog files in Emacs use the iso-2022-7bit encoding, but
>> > lisp/url/ChangeLog uses utf-8.  Is that intentional?
>>
>> Does it cause any problem?

> I don't know.  It just seemed unusual.

>> Stefan "who thinks we should eventually switch all files to utf-8"

> But not just yet.  We've been through that, and decided to use
> iso-2022.

Yes, for some files it causes trouble (mostly the ones where
unify-8859-on-decoding also poses problems).

But for a ChangeLog file, I don't know of any pending problem.  We can of
course switch to iso-2022 if we ever bump into a problem with utf-8 on
url/ChangeLog, but I think that as long as utf-8 works, we should stick
to it, especially since the probability of a problem gets smaller over time
as our Unicode support gets better.

        Stefan