Re: report-emacs-bug / e-mail setup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: report-emacs-bug / e-mail setup
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:31:23 -0400

> I found that users of the Aquamacs distribution (Mac OS X users)  frequently
> do not use Emacs for mail. Their bug reports get  swallowed, and people get
> no error message.

Regardless of what we do, this should be reported to Apple as a serious bug
in Mac OS X.  The problem is that

1- the default config has Postfix "setup" (i.e. it happily accepts email,
   although it can only deliver it if the machine has direct access to port
   25 of the various internet mail servers).
2- the Mac OS X "Mail" application encourages the user to not use the system
   mail function.

Pre-installing Postfix is good, but if they're not going to make sure that
users correctly configure it, they should make sure that by default it
rejects emails rather than swallowing them into a(n apparent) black hole.

        Stefan