Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:18:44 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Double-tap, hold, release.  Same procedure as you do when you
>> intend to drag a region.  Only that you don't drag.
>
> I think I'm going to have to join the luddites and stick with 21.4,
> though that'll probably be the latest release for many years to come
> if the feature freeze continues to be as successful as it has been
> over the last year.
>
> There seems to be an increasing trend to make Emacs look and act
> like a web browser in all contexts, making it frustrating to use for
> text editing purposes.  Setting the point is basic functionality,
> and I shouldn't have to cross my fingers, double tap, hold, turn
> around and touch my nose to do it.

Look, if you don't know how to mark a region with your touchpad, you
are not exactly able to make even close to full use of it.  The "hold
long for setting point" is, for example, also employed in the Mac
Finder and (I think) Windows if you want to rename a file instead of
start or select it.

> I notice today, we now have technicolor blinking in the modeline as
> the mouse passes over it.

Mouse highlighting for mouse-activated fields is implemented
elsewhere.  It is only consistent that it is also done in the mode
line.

> What does tomorrow have in store, and when will the new features
> stop coming?

Why should the new features stop coming?