Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:11:16 +1200

 > It's been reported twice before, it breaks semantic, which uses
 > tooltip-use-echo-area in a test to determine whether to enable a
 > certain feature which would be excessively annoying if displayed in a
 > resizing echo area.

The first report appear to be from Frank Schmitt after which I added the
alias.  I heard no more so presumed that fixed the problem.

I don't know what a "resizing echo area" is, but is it always a problem?
Does it stop Semantic from working?

I would guess that the next release of Semantic will be before the next
release of Emacs.  Has anyone reported this as a bug there?

 > >  > Shouldn't turning tooltip-mode off disable tooltips completely, whether
 > >  > they are displayed in frames or the echo area?
 > >
 > > Having tooltip-mode on and tooltip-use-echo-area set to t wasn't
 > > exactly the same as having tooltip-mode off.
 >
 > Even more reason not to remove tooltip-use-echo-area.

No, not really.  The user experience is pretty much the same.

 > > With the former, messages were displayed in the echo area in the
 > > manner of a tooltip i.e they required the mouse to pause over the
 > > text etc.  With the latter, help messages appear instantly like
 > > mouse-face.
 >
 > They shouldn't appear at all.
 >
 > > It is not a tooltip and might even predate them, which
 > > might explain the apparent anomaly.  AFAIK, this is how it has
 > > always been, and no-one has found a problem with it.
 >
 > So why the need to remove tooltip-use-echo-area then, and why is gud
 > so special that it still needs this variable (or a specialized version
 > of it), while other code apparently doesn't?

I explained why earlier, and in the thread(s) about this change.  GUD is not
special and those involved were agreeable to the changes.  I suggest that you
read that material.

Nick