Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:02:02 +0900

On 6/14/05, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 5) The delay for mouse-1 to set point
>
> The delay for mouse-1 to set point is completely unintuitive, and no
> other application I have ever seen works that way.

Yes I agree, this behavior constantly drives me nuts, even though I
know about it; I suspect such subtle click-timing-dependent behavior
is potentially very confusing for newbies, who will end up thinking
Emacs is just flaky.

I think the behavior of mouse-1 should _not_ depend on the timing of
one's clicks at all, at least by default.

A choice must be made for each mode whether mouse-1 sets the point or
follows the links.  For many read-only buffers with "underlined links"
or buttons, this is pretty obvious:  mouse-1 should just follow the
link / click the button.  For something like Gnus group or summary
buffers, it's a little less obvious (both setting the point and
clicking the link are useful), but I think never-the-less, the choice
must be made, the current "both" behavior just sucks too much (my
feeling is that probably for Gnus, the right default is "activate", as
one can usefully set the point by clicking after the end-of-line
point.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.