Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:30:04 +1200

 > > Even more reason not to remove tooltip-use-echo-area.
 > >
 > > > With the former, messages were displayed in the echo area in the
 > > > manner of a tooltip i.e they required the mouse to pause over the
 > > > text etc.  With the latter, help messages appear instantly like
 > > > mouse-face.
 > >
 > > They shouldn't appear at all.
 >
 > FWIW, I fully agree with Jason, on both counts.  tooltip-use-echo-area
 > was a useful option; in particular, if we ever make the tty version
 > support tooltips, displaying them in the echo area will be our only
 > choice.
 >
 > That option should have never been removed, IMHO.  Does anything
 > prevent us from resurrecting it now?

Resurrecting tooltip-use-echo-area is unrelated to making the tty version
support tooltips.  It was just a flag that re-directed the output of
tooltip-show-help to the echo area i.e. in the case of normal tooltips back to
where it was displayed before tooltips were turned on.

Normal tooltips and GUD tooltips have quite different internals and
putting their associated code in separate files was much more modular.
Previously if tooltip-use-echo-area was set to t so that normal tooltips
displayed there, then GUD tooltips would display there.  I can
undo the alias of tooltip-use-echo-area with gud-tooltip-echo-area
and put it in tooltip.el, so that setting it to t only displays normal
tooltip there, if that would keep everyone happy.  Somehow I don't
think it will.

Note that the doc string for tooltip-use-echo-area said:

  "Use the echo area instead of tooltip frames.
This is only relevant GUD display, since otherwise it is equivalent to
turning off Tooltip mode."

Nick