Re: Problem with library images on Windows (again)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with library images on Windows (again)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:32:09 +0200

>  - Most jpeg code I've added is heavily based on jdatasrc.c, from
> the JPEG library. I assume there's no legal trouble, as other jpeg
> code comes also from JPEG library examples.

The examples are just that: examples.  They are supposed to illustrate
the most basic/natural use of the library and so don't contain
copyrightable material unless somebody defined the interface very
badly.  You can claim copyright only on passages of sufficient
creative value, and examples often are explicitly exempt (don't know
whether this is the case here).

So you can't judge the viability of taking core code (it sounds to me
like that is what you did) by the viability of following example code.