Re: [comp.emacs] "Emacs" defined in Collins English Dictionary

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: [comp.emacs] "Emacs" defined in Collins English Dictionary
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:18:14 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> it might interest people in this group that "emacs" is defined in
> the new edition of the Collins English Dictionary (7th edition).
> The dictionary gives the plural as "emacsen", and it is defined as
> follows: "a powerful computer program used for creating and editing
> text, functioning primarily through keyboard commands".

[off-topic]

I am a native Swedish-speaker and wonder about these plurals ending in
-en. I have seen "emacsen" and "boxen", and to me they look "ugly"
(not offence intended), cannot explain why. Does not sound right at
all to me. Is there any "old" words that use this too or is this some
modern "thing"?