Re: Incorrect TAB width

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Incorrect TAB width
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:31:44 -0400

            We can arrange for a private access to my font server if it
    may help you.

It would not be feasible for me to access it, but maybe someone else
here can.

            It seems so. The tabulation width calculation method was
    reported on the 27th of December, 2004, by Kenichi Handa:

      Tab width is calculated as this (x_produce_glyphs):
        int tab_width = it->tab_width * FRAME_COLUMN_WIDTH (it->f);
      and, x_new_font sets the column width (i.e. the
      canonical character width) of a frame as this:
        FRAME_COLUMN_WIDTH (f) = FONT_WIDTH (FRAME_FONT (f));
      and FONT_WIDTH is defined as this:
        #define FONT_WIDTH(f) ((f)->max_bounds.width)

As I thought, it is not using the width of tab in the font.  However,
I wonder if the problem is that the width of canonical character width
of the font does not equal the width of a space?