Re: What holds the release

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: What holds the release
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:06:03 +0200

"John S. Yates, Jr." <address@hidden> writes:

> As a non-developer/lurker, who does NOT run a CVS pre-release emacs
> but simply a fairly stock 21.4, I suspect that the team that
> participates in this list has long since lost track of what the
> standard distribution feels like.  Do you all not run some fairly
> recent snapshot with all the accumulated features and fixes for
> which the rest of the world has been waiting year?

(I run CVS Emacs to get some late features I need.)

I would just like to comment that quite often in gnu.emacs.help, users
get the answer "...which you can find in Emacs CVS.". Nothing wrong
with that in itself, but many people does not know how to access that
or how to build or do not want to run CVS-code and they might feel
hopeless.

Better to say something like "that will be fixed in the next
release. If you dare, and have the knowledge to do it, try out Emacs
CVS. If not, you have to wait".