Re: enriched-mode problems

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:21:17 +0200

* Lute Kamstra (2005-06-15) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd prefer a way where it is possible to define explicitely if the
>> mode should be turned on or off.
>
> Could you give an example of a situation where it would be useful to
> turn a minor mode off for a certain file?

For example in case of LaTeX files in connection with AUCTeX.  AUCTeX
allows you to switch between DVI and PDF output by means of a minor
mode.  Now if your user preference is to have PDF output you'd
activate the PDF minor mode globally for all LaTeX files.  But there
may be files which cannot be compiled with PDFLaTeX in PDF mode.  For
these files you have to disable the PDF minor mode somehow.

I can imagine that there may be other examples with minor modes like
Auto Fill mode where you normally have it enabled when editing a file
in Text mode, but where you occasionally have to deal with files in
Text mode where Auto Fill mode should be turned off because long lines
have to stay intact.  I don't have a concrete example here, though.

--
Ralf