Re: Matches for multiline regexps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Matches for multiline regexps
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:09:04 -0500 (CDT)

Or does occur have problems with multiline regexps?

In my previous example buffer:

11
11
11
11
11

`M-x occur RET 11 C-q C-j 11 RET' produces the following *Occur*
buffer:

4 matches for "11
11" in buffer: bu
      2:11
      4:11
      6:11
      8:11

I could not find out from the docs what those numbers in front of the
11's are supposed to mean.  They are clearly not line numbers.

Starting from a buffer with the following five lines:

11
22
33
11
22

`M-x occur RET 11 C-q C-j 22 RET' produces the following *Occur*
buffer:

2 matches for "11
22" in buffer: bu
      2:11
      6:11

This at the very least seems inconsistent with the `occur' docstring:

  Show all lines in the current buffer containing a match for regexp.

  If a match spreads across multiple lines, all those lines are shown.

So why do I not see any 22 lines in the *Occur* buffer?

Sincerely,

Luc.