Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:16:47 +1200

 >     OK.  I've just installed changes that try to restore the behaviour of
 >     tooltip-use-echo-area.  I guess I should try to give people what they
 >     want rather than what I think they should have.
 >
 > It should not be obsolete.  This feature should not be removed.
 > It is a useful feature.

I'm not sure that you've followed the whole thread.  The feature of being able
to display help messages and GUD variable values in the echo area has *not*
been removed.  On the other hand, the variable tooltip-use-echo-area has been
made obsolete because it involves an ugly hack that intertwines the code in
tooltip.el and gud.el.  The associated doc string describes how to get the
same functionality without it.  It can't be that useful: only users of
Semantic noticed that there had been a change.

Nick