Re: command for creating local variables in files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: command for creating local variables in files
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:13:30 +0200 (CEST)

>       I suggest to add an interactive command
>       `file-make-local-variable' which does this.  As an interface I
>       can imagine something similar to AUCTeX's C-c C-e command.
>
> For those of us that do not use AUCTeX, what does that interface
> look like?

If you type C-c C-e in a just created buffer foo.tex, you see the
following dialogue in the minibuffer:

  Environment type: (default document)
    <user input; after pressing `enter' you see>
  Document class: (default article)
    <user input; after pressing `enter' you see>

So for a file-make-local-variable command we need questions like

  Major mode: (default <the current major mode>)
  Variable:
    foo...
  Variable foo set to:

etc.