Re: Needed for the release

From: jhd
Subject: Re: Needed for the release
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:01:44 +0200

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

Sorry to be late.

exec_shield is one such feature, and newer kernels use something
like, uh, /proc/sys/vm/randomize_... (I don't remember the
particular name right now and don't have a Fedora active).  The
latter loaded executables' memory segments into randomized
locations to make buffer overflow attacks less predictable.

exec_shield could be gotten around with using
setarch i386 make
and configure does that already IIRC.  But the address space
randomization was prohibiting the dumping even with the setarch
command.

Could you tell me the kernel version or the OS version?

I'm using Fedora core 1 and Fedora core 3.
I cannot reproduce the problem on the platforms.

It was introduced some time after Fedora core 3 in their development
sources.  I switched to Ubuntu a short time after that.  It is
possible that the feature did not make it switched on by default into
the final FC4 release, but I can't tell since I stopped updating it
after that.

If exec-shield is disabled or if the workaround in emacs.c works you won't see any problems. But the workaround is to set personality to PER_LINUX32 and that may have other problems. For example, does it work on a 64-bit system? What about non-x86 architectures? Does setting PER_LINUX32 have other side effects?

Ideally unexec should handle the case where heap and bss is not next to each other, and then this workaround can be removed.

    Jan D.