Re: non-default default face

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: non-default default face
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:46:12 -0600

Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
> I currently have default face set to 105 pts high adobe-courier instead
> of the default 90 pts adobe-courier. Each time Emacs starts up, it thinks > for a noticable amount of time, presumably creating the fonts. Is there a > way out? Can I preserve the font size and make Emacs start more smoothly?
> (I'm on X Window System.)

Emacs does not create fonts, which are the preserve of the window
system, but it does create fontsets.

How are you specifying the font of the default face?  On X, the simplest
and fastest way is with ~/.Xdefaults, like this:

Emacs*Font:     -*-courier-medium-r-*--*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

(That's for a 14 point font.  I assume you meant a 10.5 point font,
which would be 105 in tenths of points.)

--
Kevin Rodgers