Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tooltip-use-echo-area disappeared
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:35:51 +0200

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:07:34 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > I must be confused.  If that feature exists, doesn't tooltip-use-echo-area
>  > control whether to enable it?
>
> That is one way, but not the only one.  I suggest that we leave it as obsolete
> - that doesn't mean it has to go, just that we don't have to feel guilty if we
> do remove it.

Obsolete means that it is slashed for removal in the future.  So I
don't think we should leave it obsolete unless we in fact want to
remove it.

IMHO, we should rather implement the functionality that somehow isn't
there (although I could probably swear I've seen it in action, at
least in NTEmacs circa 21.1) which allows the user to select one of 3
behaviors:

  (1) tooltips popping up in small windows
  (2) tooltip text displayed in the echo area
  (3) tooltips completely disabled

(1) should be (and is) the default on graphical displays, (2) should
be the default on character terminals.

I'm not saying this should be done before the release, especially if
it never worked this way, but if we do agree that this is the vision,
there's no sense in obsoleting tooltip-use-echo-area.