Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:04:48 +0300

> I can't comment on Gnus, which I don't use.  In Compilation and Grep
> modes, only the file names and line numbers respond to mouse-1.  They
> also show a mouse face.
>
> Perhaps we should underline them to make them look more like a link.
> How about that?

Underlining doesn't make text look like a link.  There are faces
with the underline attribute put on text which is not a link.
It would be confusing for users to think that such text is a link
and try to click it after learning a new Emacs convention of
underlining all mouse-1 sensitive areas.

Also underlining often produces visual clutter, especially
in buffers with high link density like dired, grep and compilation
buffers.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/