Re: Matches for multiline regexps

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Matches for multiline regexps
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:47:18 +0300

>     The current duplicating of context lines of consecutive matched lines
>     is too inconvenient.
>
> Inconvenient for whom?  The user, or the maintainers of occur?

For the user.  grep and diff don't duplicate context lines,
for good reasons.

>       It really should work like grep or diff, and
>     to join consecutive lines with their context lines into one block.
>
> I am not necessarily against it.  On the other hand, I don't like the
> idea of such a major rewrite of this code now.  Although it would be
> part of fixing bugs in the handling of multiline regexps with context,
> I would rather fix that bug in a simple way with little rewriting.

I didn't suggest a major rewrite now, and I even don't consider this a bug.

(BTW, there are separate packages extending occur, such as moccur.el
which could be integrated into Emacs later).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/