Re: escape-glyph issues

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: escape-glyph issues
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:20:40 +0300

> Juri made the following change without discussion:

I made this change to let all people try alternative colors
and tell whether they like these colors better.

>            * faces.el (escape-glyph): Use less loud colors pink2 and red4.
>
> I think this looks far worse on a dark background (it plays the neat
> trick of being both less visible and more annoying at the same time;
                      ============

This is the main difference between your preferred colors and colors
proposed by me.  I selected less visible colors intentionally.

The initial purpose of highlighting control codes and nbsp with
escape-glyph was to not help users to find all such characters in the
buffer, but to inform users that displayed ASCII characters are
different from real characters.

Using too loud colors would be annoying for most users.  It is
very like turning show-trailing-whitespace with its bright red on
by default.  It helps users to see trailing whitespace when
enabled deliberately, but by default highlighting the trailing
whitespace is annoying.  The same applies to escape-glyph.
Moreover, show-trailing-whitespace is a buffer-local variable that
can be set on a per-buffer basis.  With escape-glyph users can't do
that.

The colors I proposed are less loud but still distinguishable from the
default foreground color.

> So which do people like better?

It's pity we have no formal voting process like other projects have.
It would let resolve such issues easily.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/