Re: escape-glyph issues

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: escape-glyph issues
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:59:03 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> It helps users to see trailing whitespace when
> enabled deliberately, but by default highlighting the trailing
> whitespace is annoying.  The same applies to escape-glyph.

I think the color you chose is in fact _more annoying_; perversely, it's
less easy to locate such characters in the buffer -- it's `fuzzy', one's
eye has some notion that there's something wrong, but one can't quite
see what it is (perhaps this is why it's annoying).

> The colors I proposed are less loud but still distinguishable from the
> default foreground color.

[You didn't "propose", you changed it; the argument that you were doing
to allow others to try it out sounds like weasel wording to me.]

This exact issue (the color of the escape-glyph face) was argued about
at great length, and the colors you changed were the result.  Maybe you
weren't aware of the previous argument about it.

Anyway, I will change it back.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?