Re: enriched-mode problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:00:08 -0400

    > It doesn't seem right to put that in a file's local variables list.
    > This is a personal preference issue.

    It usually is, but there are files which simply won't work in one of
    the two modes.  And for those files, it is not a personal preference.

Why do some files not work in one of these modes?  I'd expect
TeX to be able to produce DVI from any input, and if PDF is made
from the DVI file, that should always work too right?

Meanwhile, you ought to be able to control this with a couple of ordinary
variables auctex-cant-make-dvi and auctex-cant-make-pdf, right?
You could set those in appropriate files, and the commands
would look at one or both of them in deciding what to do.