minibuffer and scroll-conservatively

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: minibuffer and scroll-conservatively
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:47:08 +0200

Start todays emacs with -Q and set scroll-conservatively to some
non-zero number, say 1.
Then type eg. M-x  ABC. Now the minibuffer shows "M-x ABC" as expected.
But if you type the Danish character A-ring (a capital A with a ring
above) everything seems to disappear from the minibuffer.
I am sorry to say that I don't know how to input A-ring without having a
Danish keyboard.
The reason that the minibuffer contents disappear must be some kind of
scrolling, because hitting left-arrow will make the minibuffer show the
expected contents, including the A-ring.
If you make the same experiment with scroll-conservatively set to 0, the
minibuffer contents does not disappear, but it scrolls down slightly
when A-ring is typed; that character must somehow be a bit to high.

The behaviour described above does not occur with emacs 21; here you
only get the small scroll even with a non-zero value of
scroll-conservatively.