Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen

From: Gaëtan LEURENT
Subject: Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:21:46 +0200

Paul Pogonyshev wrote on 21 Jun 2005 20:38:47 +0200:

> I don't know if it is a bug or a feature, but why would you possibly want
> to see non-breaking spaces in your messages?  I sort of want to read my
> mail, not investigate the typographic peculiarities in it.

Well, I guess it's not a common situation, but I read some local
newsgroups where part of the game is to impersonate one-another. As it's
in French, some users use NBSP before double punctuation marks (':',
';', '!', '?' -- in French typography they are supposed to be preceded
by a thin space) and it's a nice way to detect impersonations.

> I'd say it makes perfect sense to not escape special characters in text
> meant to be read and hardly ever edited.

Yes, that would be nice, but it doesn't seem to be case today. Those
special characters are escaped in Help buffers, and in Gnus Summary ...

--
Gaëtan LEURENT