Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:32:07 +0300

> Maybe a more systematic way to proceed would be to disable NBSP-escaping
> in read-only buffers (but it could sometimes be confusing, too).

Disabling NBSP highlighting in read-only buffers makes some sense.
The reason is that in read-only buffers users usually can't fix NBSP
(if it is wrong).  I used such a rule for enabling show-trailing-whitespace
to show trailing whitespace only in editable buffers.  But sometimes
this rule fails: some read-only buffers can be switched to edit mode,
some editable buffers are not writable.  So finally I reached the rule
that sets the buffer-local show-trailing-whitespace only on files in
specified subdirectories.

This shows that show-trailing-whitespace is flexible enough to allow arbitrary
customization, but escape-glyph is not.  There is a need for a buffer-local
variable similar to show-trailing-whitespace to enable/disable highlighting
of control characters and nbsp with escape-glyph face on a per-buffer basis.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/