Re: grep.el regexp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: grep.el regexp
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:27:18 +0300

> I think that if we wrote a separate regexp for each kind of grep,
> all together they would match a lot fewer different strings than the
> current regexp does, and they would be much easier to understand.

This approach has one problem: different rules in grep-regexp-alist
are not mutually exclusive, so information from different regexps can
appear in grep buffers from similar regexps.  In the worst case
this can cause subsequent calls of `next-error' revisiting the
same source line several times for each of separate regexps.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/