Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:26:29 -0400

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:46:02 +0900, you wrote:

>On 6/22/05, John S. Yates, Jr. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> They experience it instead as a confidence building
>> feature
>
>Who's this "they"?

My bad.  Earlier I wrote "... in the CUA world ...".  The unclear
"they" was meant to refer to those working primarily with GUI
applications conforming to some variant of CUA, be it MS Windows
Mac OS or some X-based desktop.

Also, I must confess that, after posting from home this morning my
earlier note, on my drive into work I realized I was only one half
correct in my description of the Emacs / CUA clash.  That is my
description of the mismatch between file-open and traditional CUA
Open.. was more or less correct.  The clash between file-open and
New.. is the fact that file-open always inspects the directory and
alters its behavior based on whether the requested filename exists.

Thus file-open always establishes early the name under which a user's
buffer will be saved.  CUA New.. by contrast creates a new document
associated with a mechanically generated vacuous filename, guaranteed
to be unique.  The user then supplies the desired filename later via
the SaveAs.. operation.

/john