Re: Scroll lock

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:57:52 +0900

On 6/23/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     This is the main point of the mode.  It should make moving in buffers
>     more pager-like.
>
> Forgive me, but previously you said the main point was to change
> *scrolling* commands.  Now you say that the main point is something
> else.  I do not follow you any more.

I think in many "browser-like" apps, traditional cursor-movement
bindings actually do scrolling (there's no cursor to move anyway).
E.g., in mozilla, the arrow keys scroll the window by one line or
character (and in the "links" browser, ^N and ^P do the same thing,
though the arrow keys do something completely different!).

This is actually pretty convenient behavior if you're used to it.  In
emacs it might less so because people are used to having a cursor even
in read-only buffers, but as an optional mode it could be nice...

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.