Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: fringe buffer-boundary bitmaps
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:20:01 -0500 (CDT)

I believe that `fringe-indicators' and `set-fringe-indicators-1'
should be eliminated (they only exists in CVS, so this is not an
incompatible change) and that instead `indicate-buffer-boundaries'
should be made directly customizable through Custom in cus-start.el.

I believe this is the only way to avoid potential problems and user
confusion.

If a user wants to have the buffer boundaries indicated by
`default-indicate-buffer-boundaries' and at the same time wants to
have the lower boundaries indicated by `default-indicate-empty-lines'
(apparently the "problem" `fringe-indicators' was designed to avoid),
then one may not consider that very useful, but that is up to the user
to decide.  Maybe the two docstrings could refer to each other and
mention that there is some overlap in functionality.

Sincerely,

Luc.