Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:10:48 +0200

> From: "John S. Yates, Jr." <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:18:15 -0400
>
> Rather than argue about which common CUA name most closely matches
> some Emacs function that we feel we need to expose, a way to truly
> proper matches would be to think about how we might modify Emacs --
> which we boast to ourselves is so infinitely malleable -- so that it
> might present truly CUA-like behavior.

I think Emacs cannot by default present a truly CUA-like behavior
because its default key bindings and frequent commands originated
elsewhere, and are very old and entrenched in our user base.  Where we
could follow CUA guidelines without disrupting old traditions, we
already did.

There's an optional CUA Mode in Emacs; perhaps it should modify the
menu structure to be more CUA-like.  This could make CUA-infected
newbies happier.