Re: "Preserve owner and group" on MSDOS/Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "Preserve owner and group" on MSDOS/Windows
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:45:22 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:08:20 +0200
> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>
> This change fails on Windows (no chown function):
>
> 2005-06-23  Richard M. Stallman  <address@hidden>
>
>       * fileio.c (Frename_file): Preserve owner and group, if possible,
>       when copying.
>
> I've wrapped it with #ifndef DOS_NT. I don't think any other action is needed.

I don't think this is the best solution.  It is IMHO much better to
add to w32.c a trivial `chown' that does nothing; then the ugly ifdef
can go away.  (The DOS port doesn't need the ifdef anyway, since the
DJGPP library already has such a no-op implementation of `chown'.)

I think system-dependcent ifdef's should be the last resort in such
situations.

I've just installed a change along these lines (and undid yours).

(A more meaningful implementation of `chown' for w32, that uses
GetNamedSecurityInfo and SetNamedSecurityInfo, is left as an exercise
to the reader ;-)