Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn't it use the pointer position,

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn't it use the pointer position, not the cursor position?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:25:40 -0700

The Text Properties popup menu (via `C-mouse-2'), `facemenu-menu', currently
applies to the cursor position (point). Isn't this misleading? If you are
using the mouse to bring up the menu, then I think you might be expecting
the position of application to be the pointer position, not the cursor
position.

Especially wrt menu items that are specific to a buffer position, it's
likely that users will want to use the menu at different positions by simply
pointing the mouse.

For example, to check the text properties at some position, it would be
convenient to just put the mouse over that position, pop up the menu, and
choose Describe Properties. I tried this in various (pointer) positions, and
I couldn't figure out why the result didn't correspond to what I expected.
It wasn't until I looked at the facemenu code that I understood that the
mouse position is irrelevant and the cursor position is used always.

Don't you think that mouse position would be more relevant here than the
cursor position, when accessed from a mouse menu?

Commands such as `describe-text-properties' should still use the cursor
position (e.g. for access via M-x), but I think that when such commands are
accessed from a mouse (popup) menu, the pointer position should be used
instead.