Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 22:07:04 +0300

>     Yes, the Unicode name for that character is NO-BREAK SPACE.
>
> I just changed everything to "nobreak space" because (ISTR)
> someone said the Unicode name had no hyphen.  Which way is the
> Unicode name written?

The Unicode name is NO-BREAK SPACE (and the old Unicode name is
NON-BREAKING SPACE).

Creating a Lisp symbol requires converting the space into the hyphen.
Leaving the second already existing hyphen makes the symbol name
`no-break-space' ambiguous since the user might interpret it as
`no (break space)' with the unknown term `break space'.

Removing the existing hyphen and adding other one instead of the space
makes the resulting name `nobreak-space' unambiguous.

But perhaps the cindex name in the Emacs manual should be the same as
the Unicode name:

@vindex nobreak-char-display
@cindex no-break space, display
@cindex soft hyphen, display