Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Gnus not escaping NBSP and soft-hyphen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:22:28 +0900

> >> This shows that show-trailing-whitespace is flexible enough to allow
> >> arbitrary
> >> customization, but escape-glyph is not.  There is a need for a buffer-local
> >> variable similar to show-trailing-whitespace to enable/disable highlighting
> >> of control characters and nbsp with escape-glyph face on a per-buffer
> >> basis.
> >
> > What's wrong with `show-nonbreak-space'?
>
> I thought that two new face variables (e.g. `escape-glyph-face' and
> `nobreak-space-face') would be useful to imitate buffer-local faces.
> I guess users might want to use different faces for control characters
> or nbsp in different buffers, or to set `escape-glyph-face' to the default
> face to not highlight control characters in some buffers.

A "face variable" isn't flexible enough, as it wouldn't allow the
"preceeding escape character" variant.   As for normal
escape-characters, why are they important enough to warrant a separate
variable controlling their appearance?  Typical "pretty" text doesn't
contain them at all (and if they occur, it's an error).

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.