RE: Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn't it use thepointerpositio

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on Text Properties popup menu - shouldn't it use thepointerposition, not the cursor position?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:35:06 -0700

       The Describe Properties item runs describe-text-properties,
       which always references (the character after) point,
       never a region. Since it references a single position, to
       me the best position to use is the mouse-pointer position
       (when run from the mouse popup menu).

    C-mouse-2 is mainly a menubar substitute and for the menubar, only the
    position of point makes sense.

The cursor position makes sense for the menubar menu (there's no other
choice, as you say), but not for the mouse popup menu. On the popup menu,
being able to just point and interrogate the text properties is useful.

It's sometimes the case already that a menu command is slightly different
from the equivalent command run via `M-x'. I don't see any problem in having
the popup menu item Describe Properties use the character under the pointer
and the menu-bar menu item use the character after (point).

IMO, the popup menu is more useful than the menu-bar menu, anyway, for stuff
like this. Its usefulness shouldn't be limited by what makes sense for the
menu-bar.