Re: GC (was: lists.texi)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: GC (was: lists.texi)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:40:28 -0400

    Yes I think that would be a good idea.  Setting the cons-threshold to
    say 1 or 2% of RAM size would yield roughly the numbers which are
    being recommended (at 1%, you'd get 640K on a 64MB system, and 5MB on
    a 512MB system).

    Getting that number is system-dependent of course, but there seems no
    reason not to do it on systems where someone wants to write the code
    (it can even be done in lisp on [GNU/]linux, by reading /proc/meminfo).

If you'd like to implement this, please go ahead.

    This is maybe not a good idea for people who runs emacs on a big server
    with a lot a memory and a lot of users (my emacs is running on a server
    with 8Gb of RAM -- 66 users are currently using it --, but wasting 80Mo
    between each GC doesn't seem very smart)

We could put a cap on the default made this way, of no more
than 10mb, say.  Or we could use a function that tapers off.