Re: A question about dired-tree-up and switching w32 drive in dired

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: A question about dired-tree-up and switching w32 drive in dired
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:24:37 +0200

David Hunter wrote:

Lennart Borgman wrote:

I am trying to use `dired-tree-up' on w32. I get the error (error "Cannot go up to d:/upperdir/ - not in this tree"). d:/upperdir/ exists and is the directory dired is showing. What is wrong?

Hmm... did you dired "d:/upperdir/somedir" then run 'dired-tree-up'? That would make sense, and you want to use 'dired-up-directory' instead. 'dired-tree-up' does what you want when your dired buffer contains both "d:/upperdir" and "d:/upperdir/somedir" and point is on the latter.

Thanks Dave, you are right. But I must say that the message "Cannot go up ..." is not very informative when you are not that used to dired.

I thought that this might be related to the missing possibility to go up to the level where I could choose drive, but it does not seem to be so. It seems like you have to know about C-x d. I think this makes it a bit hard for beginners on w32.