Demonstration mode...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Demonstration mode...
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:05:43 +0200

Hi,

whenever I find myself doing a demonstration of Emacs capabilities and
features, I find myself using keyboard commands.  That is not helpful
to onlookers who just see magic happening.

So I have to force myself to use the mouse.

Now what would be very handy is something quite similar to some help
messages after M-x commands:

whenever Emacs finds that I used a key sequence from the current major
mode (it should be configurable which keymaps it consults for a
particular demo) that is also available as a menu, Emacs should fake
myself using the mouse: it should move the mouse cursor (like it
manages in mouse-avoidance mode) to the respective menu, hover a bit,
"click" it open, move the cursor down to the correct menu, hover a
bit, click on the menu, show the action.

If any dialogs get popped up in consequence, they should be mouse
dialogs, in the spirit of the mouse faking.

Of course, I don't want a "busy" cursor while this emulation is going
on.

If this sort of emulation works with recorded keyboard macros, and one
can edit delays into it, that would be a plus: one could replay a
complete demo without actually needing to touch the keyboard.