Re: Demonstration mode...

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Demonstration mode...
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:04:12 -0400

    whenever I find myself doing a demonstration of Emacs capabilities and
    features, I find myself using keyboard commands.  That is not helpful
    to onlookers who just see magic happening.

    So I have to force myself to use the mouse.

I don't understand how using the mouse makes things clearer.
Is it that you use menus to invoke the commands?  How inconvenient.

I used to teach classes in editing with Emacs, and people would
watch a big screen acting as a secondary monitor for my computer.
I would tell them what I was typing as I typed it, and go slow enough
that they could follow what I did and what effect it had.

    whenever Emacs finds that I used a key sequence from the current major
    mode (it should be configurable which keymaps it consults for a
    particular demo) that is also available as a menu, Emacs should fake
    myself using the mouse:

Why not just display the keys you type in another window?
That would also enable people to follow what you are doing.
It would be easier to implement, and it would show them
a good method to imitate, instead of a bad one.