Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:00:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:46:31 -0400
Cc: address@hidden

   1. Unsplit Windows is a very poor name. It doesn't give you a hint of what
   it does; in particular, it doesn't suggest that the current window is the
   only one that will remain displayed.

I agree this name is sort of confusing.  I do not see any obvious
right name, but I came up with Absorb Other Windows, which I think is
pretty clear.  I have been trying to think of other verbs, but I can't
find one that is entirely right.  "Devour"?  "Ingest"?  "Conquer"?

FWIW, I see nothing wrong with "Unsplit".  At least one other GUI
program uses "Remove split", which is very similar; if that is better,
let's use it.  I think names like "Absorb", "Devour", etc. will tell
nothing to users.

How about "Only One Window"?