Re: Scroll lock

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:38:44 +0200

* Richard M. Stallman (2005-06-24) writes:

>     That sounds like you want it to stay like it is.  I still think it
>     might be good to give people a way to have the vertical position of
>     point fixed for any kind of scroll commands, e.g. when scrolling with
>     the mouse wheel.
>
> I wouldn't object to having such a feature as an option,
> but scroll-preserve-screen-position is defined to do a different thing,
> and I don't want the new feature to replace the old feature.

In that case there are two ways feature could be activated.

1) Using a special symbol for `scroll-preserve-screen-position'.
   Setting it e.g. to 'always would preserve screen position of point
   for any scroll command, even those which would not move point out
   of the visible portion of the buffer.  The behavior you get when
   setting the variable to t would stay as is.

2) Using a new variable for activating the new feature,
   e.g. `scroll-preserve-screen-position-always'.

Personally I'd prefer the first approach because the current behavior
and the new one are mutually exclusive, so it doesn't make much sense
controlling them with two independent variables.

--
Ralf