Re: foreground menu bug

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: foreground menu bug
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:22:15 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Or, it could just warn the user that the highlighting will not be
>     visible since font lock is enabled?
>
> It would be possible, but why be so complicated?
> This change seems to do the right job.

Assuming the user notices that we disabled the menu item, your fix
might work. What about users who use M-x apropos or similar to find
commands and then used enter the commands with M-x, how would they
know that this comment is currently "disabled", or not meant to be
used?

Also, what does a disabled menu item tell the user? He might not
understand that it is because font lock is enabled. He might wonder if
he is doing something wrong seeing that menu item disabled.

I think this is a bad idea which just avoids solving the real
problem. If we disable the menu item, which is one way for the user to
execute the command, we should also disabled the other ways to execute
that command. Or make the command warn the user in some way.