Re: Using the ANSI standard for info-look

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Using the ANSI standard for info-look
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:40:29 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Any objection to the patch below?
>     It corrects the regexp for Lisp symbols (to be like the one used for
> elisp),
>     it corrects the case-sensitivity, and it adds an entry to use the Texinfo
>     rendition of the ANSI CL standard if available.
>
> Please don't add the reference to the ANSI standard.  It is not free.

True.  Although, it might turn out that /is/ public domain.  According
to Kent Pitman:

  Lars Brinkhoff <address@hidden> writes:
  > How about the Common Lisp dpANS documents?  I was under the impression
  > that they were released under public domainish terms, but now that I
  > look, I can't find any copyright notice.

  You're right that there isn't a proper notice per se.  Documents do
  exist (but are not on display publicly) that would show that the legal
  intent was to have placed them into the public domain, even though we
  botched the final execution of that.  A good intellectual property
  lawyer would tell you that this means the legal status is messy, but
  what that really means (I believe) is that those who paid for its
  creation could (hypothetically) have grounds to make a claim that it
  was encumbered in some way, that is, to assert that they have some
  right of ownership.  But since all of those parties at one time or
  another signed into this system of contracts identifying that the
  intent was to make a public domain document, I don't personally think
  they would succeed.