Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Shift Tab should move backward in help buffers
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:30:13 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Tab move to next link in the help buffer. Shift-Tab does the same.
>     However it would be more practical and consistent with usual behaviour
>     if Shift-Tab moved backwards.
>
> Would you like to send a patch?

The current defaults are:

<S-tab>   aliased to TAB
<backtab> unbound

As far as I can tell, <backtab> and <S-tab> are generated for the same
keys on different terminals (or do some terminals have a separate
backtab key?).

So it may be more consistent for the defaults to be:

<S-tab>   aliased to backtab
<backtab> aliased to TAB

Then if a mode like help-mode defines an alternate binding for
backtab, S-tab will automatically follow. We'd have to check the
codebase for S-tab bindings and change them to bind backtab instead to
maintain consistency.