Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:17:16 +0200

> I do not know whether or not it is important for `set-variable' to be
> consistent with that.  Maybe not.  I just wanted to be sure that you
> are aware of the `customize' situation.

AFAICS, customize-face does nothing special, other than filtering out
aliases (but accepts them if the user types them). The set-variable
situation is very different: it does not accept a variable name unless
it thinks it is a user-variable, so the easiest answer is just making
it believe that aliases of user-variables are also user-variables.
This will generate more answers in the completion list; I'm not sure
whether that is a problem or not (I tend to think that it is not, as
the list is pruned quite quickly as the user types in characters).

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u