Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:40:40 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:05:33 +0200
>
> > To me, it means that a window (``frame'' in our parlance) that was
> > previously split into two or more parts now becomes "unsplit", i.e. we
> > are left with a frame that has only one window.
>
> If you prefer that verb, I'd rather say something like "Unsplit all"
> or something like that to make obvious that it is not symmetric with
> "Split".

As Jason and myself tried to explained, it _is_ symmetric, just
perhaps not in the sense that you think.  It makes something that was
split be unsplit.  And that something, which we call ``frame'' is
called ``window'' elsewhere.  So, "Split Window" and "Unsplit Window"
is the natural choice.  (We actually say "Unsplit Windows" instead, to
avoid calling the frame ``a window''.  But to me, that subtlety is
secondary in this case; I'm quite sure many, perhaps most, users of
the menu don't even notice it.)