Re: Background mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Background mode
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:52:52 +0300

> When sending patches here, would you please use diff -c, not diff -u?
> I find I cannot understand a diff -u patch unless it is very simple.

I think diff -u is better when the goal is to show just the
differences, but diff -c is better for changes in the middle of
non-trivial code.

> When I try to read the lines and think about what they do,
> I cannot keep track of which lines are old and which are new.

Maybe it will help to send patches as inline text/x-patch attachments?
Such attachments are highlighted by diff-mode in the article buffer
(at least in Gnus), so after customizing diff mode faces it would be
easier to see which lines are old or new.

> However, after some struggling, I was able to read this change.

OK, I will remember to send patches with diff -c.

> It seems like a good idea, so please install it.  I think it should
> be mentioned in NEWS, and maybe somewhere in a manual, but I am not
> sure where.

Since `default-frame-background-mode' is not a user option, but an
internal variable, then maybe it should be mentioned under the `Lisp
Changes in Emacs 22.1' section of etc/NEWS?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/