Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:39:45 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     - A window is what we call a frame. "Split Window" would be "Split Frame".
>     - You can only split in two parts.
>     - The two parts contains the same file.
>
>     In this context "Remove Split" is meaningful and does the opposite of
>     "Split Window".
>
> Our "Split Window" operation does split into two parts that show
> the same file (more generally, same buffer).  So "Remove Split"
> fits well.

"Remove Splits" would probably be more fitting, as the frame is
completely unsplit afterwards and all splitting operations are undone.

> "Single Window" also seems like it might be a good name.
>
> So it is between those two.

One problem I see with that is that beginners, one of the main
audiences for menus, might feel less secure with Emacs terminology and
the difference between frames and windows.

Since splitting can't really apply to frames (which are separate items
on the desktop), "Remove Splits" would probably feel less ambiguous to
a beginner.