Re: File menu changes (suggestions)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: File menu changes (suggestions)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:17:21 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:

Rather than change menu entries's names to less "standard" ones, we should
change their behavior to better match what users expect.

E.g. find-file might require confirmation before opening
a non-existent file.  I'll love such a new feature, seeing how often I do
"C-x C-f emacs/src/rege TAB RET" only to find myself in "regexp." rather
than in the "regexp.c" that I intended to open.
Agree.

Another option is to prompt for a file name and require confirmation if the
file already exists.  It's a slightly different behavior than those other
"CUA-style" systems, but unsuspecting users should hopefully not find
it confusing, which is all we really care about.

I guess I'm just repeating what Miles and Eli have said.
I too repeat and agree.